Thursday, April 14, 2005

Edgeplay

I received my copy of Edgeplay - A Film About The Runaways this week from Amazon.

Many of you won't know who The Runaways are. They were the first all-female hard rock band to be signed to a major label. They also happened to be teenagers at the time. The most well-known lineup consisted of Joan Jett, Lita Ford, Sandy West, Cherie Currie, and Jackie Fox. Jett and Ford, of course, went on to have very successful solo careers.

The film is a documentary directed by Victory Tischler-Blue (aka Vicki Blue), who was also the bassist for The Runaways after Jackie Fox quit. I enjoyed watching the documentary, even though a lot of it was disturbing. These teenaged girls were certainly abused and exploited (and I don't use those terms lightly). Only Lita Ford, the awesome machissmo axe-shredder, seems to not have issues today over what she went through. And Joan Jett chose not to participate in the film, so I have no idea how she feels about everything.

There are some reviews of Edgeplay at Amazon if you'd like to know more.


An early shot of The Runaways (left to right):
Lita Ford, Joan Jett, Jackie Fox, Sandy West, Cherie Currie



The Live in Japan album cover (left to right):
Cherie Currie, Joan Jett, Sandy West, Lita Ford, Jackie Fox

Comments:
Cool! Is it worth buying?
 
Charone, I think so. If you are a fan of their music or any of the members, I would recommend it. However, don't expect there to be Runaways' music... Joan Jett wouldn't allow any of it to be used. So the live footage is just of them doing cover songs. The background "mood" music is mostly Lita Ford and Suzi Quatro. The soundtrack has some Runaways' tunes, though.

I'm a huge Jett fan, so I don't knock her for not participating in the film. She's got her reasons, I'm sure.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?