Thursday, May 26, 2005

Not "Mezmerizing"... But Pretty Close

I picked up the new System of a Down CD, Mezmerize, this week. It's pretty good.

I tend to listen to music for the music, rather than for lyrics. This CD has some good guitar riffs -- the strongest point of the CD, in my opinion. I also like the songwriting. The drummer has some chops, but he doesn't play "technically" on the CD. While I enjoy listening to technical drummers, I also like solid, fast, aggressive drumming, which is exactly what System's songs call for.

Some people won't like the lyrics on Mezmerize. They are politically to the left -- anti-war, anti-mainstream media, etc. But sometimes the lyrics are funny. The song Cigaro is a good example: "My cock is much bigger than yours" ... "My shit stinks much better than yours". Haha. That's almost as funny as "Pull the tapeworm out of your ass, Hey!" that's on Toxicity.

Overall, this is a great CD, and I'm looking forward to the second half, Hypnotize, which will be out later this year.

Comments:
I’m not a drummer, but I certainly appreciate John Bonham and Neil Pert…as well as Herb, the ginseng drummer from Primus.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?