Thursday, May 26, 2005

Right Down the Middle


Your Political Profile

Overall: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal
Social Issues: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal
Personal Responsibility: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal
Fiscal Issues: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Ethics: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal
Defense and Crime: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal


How Liberal / Conservative Are You?

Via Feministe.

Updated to clarify: I'm not actually "right down the middle" or 50/50. It's just the stinkin' quiz saying that I am. When you break down my score, you see that it all depends on the issue. And then I'm either strongly "liberal" or strongly "conservative" -- not moderate -- with the exception of Defense and Crime.

Of course, the quiz isn't accurate anyway, as none of the answers truly describe what I think. In addition, I want to mention that what is erroneously called "fiscal conservatism" is actually classic liberalism. Conservative, by definition, means opposed to change or progression. That doesn't describe me, nor does it describe free market economics. A free market system is the most "liberal" and progressive there is.

Comments:
I couldn't do it RF. I love these quizes, but I was not able to take this one. Too many simple binaries, and they did not even make sense, at least not from my twisted political perspective.

Examples:
Q4: I think education would be improved by BOTH having a (well designed) voucher system AND repealing Ted Kennedy's, excuse me, George Bush's No Child Left Behind.

Q7: I think carrying a gun is "Dangerous and sketchy", but I suspect this would misrepresent my anti-gun control views. I mean, it is "dangerous and sketchy" in my opinion for non-professionals to carry power tools, but I am not going to BAN it.

Q8: "Some people have less luck than others" - False or True? WTF? Are there seriously people who DON'T think that a kid in the ghetto who ate too much lead paint at 18 months is less lucky than Donald Trump's kids? How sensible is that question?

Q10: Taxes - cut to stimulate the economy or raised on the rich? Well, I want to raise land rent taxes and inheritence taxes to 95-99%, raise corporate taxes to the maximun for revenue generation, and eliminate sales, personal imcome, and employment taxes. So what the hell do I answer?

Q11: More important to reduce the debt and deficit or help the poor and homeless? Okay, my answer is help the poor and homeless, but what are they calling the "conservative" answer? I mean, I know what the conservative answer was ten years ago, but today...
 
No kidding. Those questions were a crock. For most of them, neither answer actually fit me. I just tried to figure out what they were trying to get it and answer accordingly.

My favorite was the abortion one -- what if I think it should be legal AND discouraged?

I also tried to figure out what category each question fit into. I couldn't figure out how I could be even 25% "liberal" (which here actually means "leftist") since I am very strong on personal responsibility. Well, it turned out to be the pot-smoking question that got me!

Yep. If you think pot-smoking is one's own business, then you're against personal responsibility. :whatever:
 
Somebody smarter than me once said "any philosophy that fits in a nutshell belongs there." That's the problem with those little quizzes.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?