Thursday, May 19, 2005

Update on the Interview

Well, I had my interview last week. I followed all the advice except... I didn't act interested.

The job turned out to be for second shift. That means I'd go to work in the afternoon and go home around midnight. Don't get me wrong; I realize I have to start at the bottom. But I've already done second shift... and third shift. That's how I paid for college and bought my house and land. Heck, part of the reason I went to college was so I wouldn't have to work those crappy hours anymore.

I did have another company call me, though. So the good news is I'll have another interview! (Actually I've had a few companies call, but let's just say there are some calls you avoid.)

The problem with living in my area is that most of the jobs are unskilled. I'd have more opportunities if I could move, but that just isn't possible at this time. Our governor likes to say, "Our biggest export in Iowa is college graduates." I can see why, Mr. Vilsack. But I'm still confident I'll find the right job somewhere around here.

Comments:
I'm still waiting for Vilsack to throw one of those "come back to Iowa!" parties for West Coast expats. Not that I plan on returning, but if Iowans in New York get a party then I want one too.

Seriously though, you'd think that a town where college graduates fight to the death for a $12/hr job pushing paper at ACT would be able to attract a little more business, but apparently not. The choice between "dandruff/scalp" and "rats/sinking ship" is a tough one here.
 
Wow! You own your own home AND paid your way through college. Good for you! Can't do that on either coast or most big cities.

It took me until my mid 30's to pay off my college loans. 7 years to save enough money for a downpayment and all I could afford was a very neglected house far from my dear Lake Michigan.

I've spent a year and a half working on the house 10-25 hours a week, every week, just to make this place decent. I enjoy the work, mostly, and it should pay off when I sell, but sometimes I fantasize about owning a home that doesn't need "TLC".

PS We'll be in Iowa City this weekend for our final visit before next month's wedding. I'd offer to buy lunch so we can meet you, but we're booked. Maybe another time?
 
I'm rooting for you, Red! You're a tough, smart woman so I know you'll pull through just fine.
 
Personally, I like 2nd shift. No boss hanging over your shoulder, the commute home is quiet, and if you have personal business to take care of, you don't have to give up your lunch hour just to get it done.
 
You Or Someone You Know Can Now Save SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS On A New Home Purchase!

Click Here For More Information



home construction loan
home construction loan
home construction loan
home construction loan
home construction loan
home construction loan
home construction loan
home construction loan
home construction loan
home construction loan
 
The ONLY Website in the World That Teaches You How to Order A Brand-New, Custom-Built Dream House, And Pay An Average 42% LESS Than You Could Sell It For On The Market. No Limit To House Size Or Location.

Click Here For More Information



Luxury HomeBuilders
Luxury HomeBuilders
Luxury HomeBuilders
Luxury HomeBuilders
Luxury HomeBuilders
Luxury HomeBuilders
Luxury HomeBuilders
Luxury HomeBuilders
Luxury HomeBuilders
Luxury HomeBuilders
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?