Monday, June 06, 2005

I've Been Double-Tagged!

Up until this point, I've been a Book Tag virgin -- never been tagged. Now I've been tagged twice in one week. First by Kirsten, then by billy-jay. So here goes:

Number of books I own: I counted 286. I have some more scattered throughout the house, but that's what I counted on my desk, book shelves, and the floor near my desk and book shelves.

Last book I bought: Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception by Eoin Colfer. My son is a Fowl freak, and quite frankly, so am I! This is our current "family read" and we're on the fourth chapter. Like all the Fowl series books, this one is excellent.

Last book I read: Macroeconomics After Keynes: A Reconsideration of the General Theory by Victoria Chick. I read this for a class that ended last month, but it is honestly the last book I completed. I'm not a Keynesian, but unlike some pro-market students, I don't throw a fit when I have to learn about theories that depart from my own ideology. In fact, I think it's important to be informed about other perspectives. How can you say that the free market is best if you don't even know what your opposition has to say? Besides, most of what I learned in my economics classes at the University of Iowa dealt with the neo-classical (pro-market) model.

Five books that mean a lot to me (in no particular order):

1) The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith. It all started with Adam, and every market advocate should have some edition of this!

2) The Making of Modern Economics: The Lives and Ideas of the Great Thinkers by Mark Skousen. This was the most interesting economics book I read in college. I like it because it covers all the major economics thinkers/philosophers. Skousen is a market guy, but he includes people like Marx and Keynes too. I have already used this book several times as a reference outside of my academic work, and I've had it less than a year.

3) Globalization and its Discontents by Joeseph E. Stiglitz. Not exactly a pro-market book, but not an anti-market book when you get down to it. It's more of a critique of the current globalization policies and practices, which aren't really capitalist, but corporatist. A must-read for anyone concerned with the ethics of globalization and the individual rights of others.

4) The Reasonable Woman: A Guide to Intellectual Survival by Wendy McElroy. If you're a feminist, you have to get past McElroy's criticism of mainstream feminism. It is well worth it if you are someone who is more concerned with the way things are rather than with the way things ought to be. I certainly know I think things ought to be different, and I'm not giving up on that. But I also know that sometimes you just have to suck it up or you will fail miserably in life, and never even have a chance to make a difference.

5) All of the Harry Potter series books by J.K. Rowling. Yes, I am a big kid. Not only are these books wonderful, but they have personal value as well. My fiance and son love them as much as I do. We have read all of them together and it's definitely a big part of our "family bonding" time. People always ask how my son turned out so smart. It is because we read together at night instead of watching TV! We are anxiously awaiting Book 6, which comes out on my son's birthday. During these times of Potter-withdrawal, we read Artemis Fowl or some other Eoin Colfer book.

Honorable mention goes to Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman. Okay, so I basically cheated by naming six books! But I had to at least mention this one. Friedman (along with Hayek) helped bring capitalism back into the modern economic debate. Friedman is also not afraid to label himself a "liberal". That's cool, because a lot of people really don't know what that word means.

Tag five people and have them do this on their blogs: I'm tagging Karen, Robert, Decnavda, Brad, and... Electronic Bubba. Heheh, sorry if you didn't want to be tagged. I'm not offended easily if you decline!

Comments:
Thanks for the mention, drumgurl. I’m going to cheat and recycle, since I’ve already played.
 
Ah, someone other than me who put the Harry Potter books on their list. I guest-posted my list to Enjoy Every Sandwich, and that series was on my list, too.
 
Like Robert, I already played as well.
 
I am flattered to be tagged. I posted my answers, such as they are, on my blog.
 
LOL. I've already answered something similar, as well! http://karentertainment.blogspot.com/2005/03/carol-beat-me-senseless-with-stick.html

But an update:

Last book I bought: "Exile", R.A. Salvatore (picked it up last night).

Last book I read: "Homeland", R.A. Salvatore (finished it two days ago).

Are ya seeing a pattern here? :) I'm a total fantasy-adventure book geek.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?