Friday, July 21, 2006

Plan For Your Retirement: Because you're worth it!

Earlier this month, I received an email ad from Shoes.com proclaiming, "Luxury Shoes on Shoes.com - You're Worth It". Sure, I'm worth it. But the real question is, are luxury shoes worth my money?

I am not opposed to receiving ads from Shoes.com. I agreed to be on their email list after making a (non-luxury shoe) purchase through them. I am also not opposed to Shoes.com trying to make money by encouraging me to spend $500 on a pair of shoes. That's capitalism, and I love it.

What baffles me is that people my age and at my income level are willing to pay $500 or more for a pair of shoes. Sure, it's their right. You go, girls! Just consider this a counter-ad to Shoes.com.

I am not immune to the one-upmanship of having the best shoes. Women and girls have tried to one-up me my whole life, since I grew up working class. Now I can afford some luxury shoes if I want them. But I'd rather put that money towards something else. My retirement, my house.... heck, even my drumset is an investment. But shoes? They will be out of style before I even get my credit card statement.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate good shoes. I can't buy shoes at Wal-Mart because they aren't comfortable. But you can often get a quality women's shoe for less than $100. (Actually you can get two.) And they look good!

Now, I know there are some young people who can afford expensive shoes, plus a few houses, and they've already got millions for their retirement. More power to them. But if that is not your situation, I think you should start thinking about your future. Young people need to do that, because we won't be young forever. Are these shoes really worth all the credit card debt you're incurring? Will you be able to resell these shoes for anywhere near what you paid?

Yes, I am turning into my grandpa, sans fungus feet.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?