Friday, October 13, 2006

The Book Meme

This book is not in my meme. I just like the naked guy.

I am embarrassed to say that SmartBlkWoman tagged me for this over a month ago, and it took me this long to write the post. I have the usual excuse: working way too much!

1. ONE BOOK THAT CHANGED YOUR LIFE?


This will sound incredibly lame, but The Making of Modern Economics: The Lives and Ideas of the Great Thinkers by Mark Skousen. I read this as an economics undergrad for a course called History of Economic Thought. This book was my introduction to several different economic schools of thought on a philisophical level. And even though I obviously come down on the free market side, I like reading other perspectives.

2. ONE BOOK YOU HAVE READ MORE THAN ONCE?

I don't think I have ever read an entire book more than once. Perhaps the Bible when I was little, but I'm not sure.

3. ONE BOOK YOU WOULD WANT ON A DESERT ISLAND?

Some sort of masturbatory material.

4. ONE BOOK THAT MADE YOU LAUGH?

Any of the Artemis Fowl series books. I read these aloud with my son and fiance. We take turns reading and assign a voice to each character. These books are always a hoot, and they have contributed to my son's love of reading (second to Harry Potter).

5. ONE BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY?

When I was in middle school, I read That Was Then, This is Now by S.E. Hinton. I read The Outsiders too, like everyone else in my class, but this is the Hinton novel that made me bawl.

6. ONE BOOK YOU WISH YOU HAD WRITTEN?

The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith. You know, if I would have been alive back then.

7. ONE BOOK YOU WISH HAD NEVER BEEN WRITTEN?

I can't say. I suppose most people would choose something they disagree with, but I can't. Even the bad ideas need to be published, otherwise we wouldn't have anyone to feel superior to.

8. ONE BOOK YOU ARE CURRENTLY READING?

Buck Wild: How Republicans Broke the Bank and Became the Party of Big Government by Stephen Slivinski. The author was kind enough to comment on my teeny little blog! (He's also a drummer and has a band going with fellow Cato Institue folks -- who'd of thunk Cato employed crazy musician-types?)

9. ONE BOOK YOU HAVE BEEN MEANING TO READ?

I was going to say Vienna and Chicago, Friends or Foes?: A Tale of Two Schools of Free Market Economics by Mark Skousen. That's been on my Amazon wish list for months. But after reading SmartBlkWoman's meme, I'm interested in Life at the Bottom: The Worldview That Makes the Underclass by Theodore Dalrymple. I'm curious as to what about this book could convince one to give up statist liberalism in favor of classic liberalism. And since I like to approach feminism in an optimistic way, rather than the one-down-victim perspective, I think there is likely something for me in this book.

How about tagging some Iowa bloggers? I tag trilobyte, Scott Devore, An Iowa Libertarian, John Deeth, Iowa Ennui, Simplicity, KL Snow, Iowa Geek, Krusty Konservative, and Iowa Progress. I'm also tagging Kirsten, Jacqueline Mackie Paisley Passey, The Truffle, Happy Feminist, and John Norris Brown.

Comments:
Aw, thanks for tagging me! I actually tagged myself a while back -- http://happyfeminist.typepad.com/happyfeminist/books/index.html

But now I feel foolish. Masturbatory material makes a lot more sense than The Source. Duh.
 
I just started reading "Our Culture, What's Left of It" by Dalrymple and it's even better than his other book. Make no mistake about it, he is definitely a conservative and not a liberal but what he is able to make you understand about human nature will convince you that there is no form of statist that will solve all ( or even most) of humanities problems.
 
Thank you for the tag! I was tagged a while back and here are some of my faves:

http://thetruffle.blogspot.com/2006/09/its-book-meme-tag-time-wheeeeee.html
 
Has anyone read "Blackwater" by Jeremy Skahill (I may not be spelling his name correctly)? It's about a large gov't contractor that trains mercenaries for the US. And he says that during Katrina the Louisana national guard was in Iraq. So our feds paid Blackwater $950/day/man to "guard" (not help) New Orleans. The men themselves were paid $350/day. Susan Davies
 
"Ayn Rand" = Alison Rosenbaum = Jew.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?