Friday, October 27, 2006

Friday Rockstar Blogging - R.I.P. Sandy West


This is one of those things I started Friday, but couldn't finish until Monday because it made me so sad. Sandy West, the drummer for The Runaways, has passed away.

I noticed CNN cut Joan Jett's quote -- too politically incorrect, I suppose. I have pasted the entire quote from Jett's website below.

We are deeply saddened by the lost of our good friend Sandy West. She was an incredible drummer and a kind soul. She will be missed. "I started the runaways with Sandy West. We shared the dream of girls playing rock and roll. Sandy was an exuberant nd powerful drummer. So underrated, was the caliber of John Bonham. I am overcome from the loss of my friend. I always told her, we changed the world." -Joan Jett
West was such a good drummer by the age of 16 that many questioned whether she really played on the first album. (She did. The only one who couldn't play her own parts was the bassist, Jackie Fox.) I too have always been impressed by her chops.

Here's a video of The Runaways where West does some vocals.


Comments:
Awwwww, that's so sad! I'd heard that Ms. West had cancer but hoped she'd pull through.
 
Yes, very sad.
 
SANDY WEST ROCKS ON!! I was so sad to learn of this. I have been bummed for days. I knew Sandy way back when, hung out with her on occassion. She was so amazingly talented -and hey she was hot. She was fun to watch behind those drums. She was INDEED underrated as a drummer and a performer. I appreciate the contributions she made to rock and to all of those who knew her.
 
I didn't know Sandy had passed, so thanks for the info.

:(
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?